Friday, June 21, 2013

Save a Turtle, Lose a Phone! 1st world problems...

A few days in Review:

It has been an interesting week, I must admit, I am tired, excited and encouraged.
Things are moving forward and my trip is close at hand.

* Please cast your Vote for Carf on Dolfijn FM radio
* Thank you to all who donated clothes for a charity event to raise funds for the Dogs
* Turtle vs. iphone and guess who wins?!
* Amazing contacts helping me move forward with this project.
Finding funds is not always easy for rescue, But here is a way you can truly help.
Its really easy.. simply VOTE & SHARE.

CARF animal rescue and rehab group.
is completely volunteer based, receiving NO subsidies or grants relying solely
on YOUR goodwill and support.

Support comes in many ways....
if you can't ADOPT a rescue animal, you can FOSTER,
if you can't FOSTER, you can DONATE,
if you can't DONATE, well.... there's a solution for that too,
you can VOTE FOR CARF in this Dolfijn FM poll AND you can SHARE
with your friends to help CARF win much needed funds to continue our efforts.

So if you are always thinking to yourself how you can help
....there you go...VOTE + SHARE !

Click on this Link:  http://www.dolfijnfm.com
On the website, left hand side there is a black column it says "POLL"
scroll down to the second name you will see CARF click on the button
then click on VOTE
You can VOTE every 24 hours. Please help, it is simple, fast and it can make a big difference in a dog's life.

I have been making phone calls, keeping notes, meeting key people and lots of contacts.
Hence the title of today's blog...
I was waiting for a call back from a Vet, and since I still have some chores to do,
not to waste time,  I figured lets be proactive and clean the pool! As I opened the skimmer, inside there was a baby snapping turtle. Trying to get him out, was to say the least, an ordeal for both of us! As I finally managed to do so, I slipped and ended head first into the deep end of the pool. There was no Olympic medals awarded for this awkward dip. Remember, I was waiting for an important phone call so my iphone was in my back pocket.

Moral of this story; One lucky turtle saved, One not so lucky iphone finished and One very wet, surprised  & slightly embarased person being "me." but dually noted; this was a 1st world problem..

I had contacted Dr. Samson-French after reading about her and seeing her on CBC news.
Dr. Samson-French was working on a project up in Labrador. She started a program called: -->
Dogs With No Names™  a scientific pilot program working to reduce the number of homeless dogs on First Nations reserves through the use of contraceptive implants.
the results of her week in Labrador = 
-->
176 dogs handled (rabies vaccines, microchips, dewormers, and contraceptive implants if females).  63 females implanted = over 50,000 pups not born in the next 40 months. Assuming a worse case scenario of only 10% survival - 5,000 unwanted dogs not born.
Her work is ground breaking. I highly suggest you check out her site and her book. 
-->

Dr. Samson-French was most helpful with all my questions and gave me answers I needed and we have discussed possible solutions and have some work ideas in progress. I am so please how this amazing woman was open and giving to my project and plans for the street dogs of Curacao. Looking forward to our next meeting.

I had also put out an appeal for some clothes to bring with me to Curacao, for an event that is happening July 6th on the island. The clothes will be sold and the proceeds will be given to the dog shelter. 
A huge Thank you to the  wonderful people who dropped off boxes and bags  for me. Can you say "Overweight Baggage?" Well all for a good cause! 

Still on the agenda; more meetings coming up, more research and at one point, I think packing would be good idea.

One closing note; if you can, Please Vote daily for CARF, it truly will make a difference .

Sweet dreams to one and all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment